Comedian Bill Cosby — in what’s fast becoming normal — has won another court battle as he continues to fight to reclaim his name and beat back decades-old allegations of sexual misconduct.
A Massachusetts court has dismissed with prejudice a complaint brought against the iconic star by California attorney Tamara Green, Florida nurse Therese Serignese, former waitress Linda Traitz and self-described “Woodstock” woman Joan Tarshis, all who claimed Cosby had sexually assaulted them.
Serignese, once listed as “Jane Doe #10” in a lawsuit filed by former Temple University employee Andrea Constand against Cosby in 2005, had publicly urged Cosby to “quit lying” about his alleged behavior.
The others had made similar pleas to Cosby and joined in a lawsuit that contended he caused the “intentional infliction of emotional distress” on them.
However, on Friday, a judge not only threw out the suit, but noted that “each and every party shall bear its own costs and fees associated” the claims — thus removing any chance the women had of getting Cosby to pay their legal costs.
The ruling comes on the heels of other favorable decisions for Cosby, whose 1980s hit NBC TV sitcom “The Cosby Show,” earned him the moniker of “America’s Dad.”
Last month, a judge ruled that Cosby had the fundamental right to defend himself against public accusations and dismissed a suit brought by another accuser, Katherine McKee.
After making public her claims, McKee sued Cosby claiming his former attorney defamed her when asserting that Cosby was innocent.
“This is another in a line of recent developments, vindicating Mr. Cosby’s right to defend himself in the face of an onslaught of unverified accusations,” Cosby’s lawyers said in a statement at that time.
In December, a federal appeals court announced a similar decision in the case of Hill vs. Cosby, affirming the dismissal of a very similar lawsuit.
Pittsburgh resident Anita Hill has filed suit after Cosby’s lawyers denied any wrongdoing and Hill argued that the star defamed her with his denials, particularly by suggesting she was lying and trying to extort him.
“These two decisions should also pave the way to the final dismissal of the remaining civil actions pending against Mr. Cosby including the appellate proceeding challenging a partial dismissal of the action brought by reality television personality Janice Dickinson,” said Angela C. Agrusa, Cosby’s lead civil lawyer. “This is the correct outcome. This order, taken in conjunction with the recent decision in the Hill case, amount to a powerful statement of the law.
“It is paramount in a free society to be able to insist on one’s innocence in the face of serious public accusations, and today’s ruling reinforces that fundamental right,” Agrusa said.
And recently, in another court victory, the judge in Cosby’s upcoming criminal trial ruled that a jury would be selected from a diverse pool from Philadelphia, not Montgomery County.
Cosby, 79, is set to stand trial in June on allegations that he drugged and sexually assaulted Constand at his Pennsylvania home in 2004.
It’s the only criminal charge stemming from dozens of accusations of sexual misconduct spanning decades. Cosby has denied any wrongdoing and has filed defamation lawsuits against some of his accusers.