Want to find and reach out to family members using today’s hottest genealogy tools? Social networking was made for family historians! We will teach you how to embrace social media and make it work for you as a genealogist. Social media is changing the way people connect with each other; imagine how this will allow you more ways to uncover those hidden family “treasures.” Use Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, Photo and Document Sharing … we’ll take the fear out of it for you!
Here’s what this class will teach you:
• what social media is
• which social media sites are best for genealogists and why (GenealogyWise, Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Blogging, Photo and Video Sharing, Document Sharing, Message Boards)
• how to integrate social networking with your use of popular genealogy sites (Ancestry, AfriGeneas, Family Link, Famiva, Geni, My Life, Story of My Life)
• the importance of ethical genealogical practices when using social networking
At the end of this three-hour workshop, you will:
• understand the importance of using social media in your genealogical search
• know which social media sites are best for you as you research your family
• know how to integrate social networking with various familiar genealogy sites
• understand the importance of genealogical ethics – reliability of sources, trust, and privacy issues
Who should attend?
All genealogists who have used traditional research methods but want to harness the power of social media and put it to work in the search for your family’s history.
• You must have a working email address and know the password.
• Basic Internet knowledge is required.
• You must have beginner social media skills.
• You must have intermediate genealogy skills.
Romona Foster is a highly endorsed social media trainer teaching professionals how to leverage and brand their businesses through the use of social media. She is an engaging speaker who is passionate about all things related to social media marketing. Romona trains both groups and individuals on how to use LinkedIn, how to market on Facebook, all about Twitter, Constant Contact, Microsoft Office -- and coming in 2013, Google+.
Vernettia Foster, our Social Media Week Guest Speaker, is a retired English teacher with 38 years of experience teaching students from fourth grade to adulthood. She has received numerous honors and teaching awards, and has been actively involved in genealogical research since the 1980's. Vernettia has witnessed the change from traditional "microfilm" methods to more modern technology, including the Internet, social media and mobile applications. Her ancestral search has taken her back to the 1790s. She is actively involved in church ministry and currently teaches technology classes to immigrant women and their children.