6 rules to keep off the pounds
By Gayle Jo Carter - | 12/24/2010, 6 a.m.
As host of NBC's Biggest Loser, Alison Sweeney's learned a lot about living a healthy lifestyle. In her new book, The Mommy Diet, the 34-year-old mother of two offers up plenty of savvy tips for moms-to-be, new moms and those with newborns. "It's the post-pregnancy advice that can resonate with all of us trying to keep healthy," says Sweeney. These are "important tips for everyone... They're keys to staying fit for the rest of your life," she says about the list found in the book's "Mommy Maintenance" chapter. The highlights:
1. Keep a food journal:
While Sweeney admits it's "no fun" and "a chore," she also acknowledges that it's the only way to keep track of what you are really eating throughout the day. This can help you be aware of calorie indulgences you might not have know about and of some you need to face.
2. Be aware of calories and be honest about how many you are really consuming: Sweeney says it's okay to "treat yourself once in a while," but recognize it. Get smart about portion sizes.
3. Eat out wisely: "Avoid" foods described as "cheesy," "creamy" or "fried;" salads are only healthy if they're not loaded with calorie busters; send away the bread basket; pay attention to portion size (order a half dish or an appetizer as entree), and stick to fish, grilled chicken and vegetables.
4. Give into a "major craving" - but just a little: Trade big muffins for mini-muffins; have a kid's cup size of ice cream if you can't resist.
5. Out of sight, out of mind: "If there's something you can't resist," Sweeney says, "don't have it in the house." To avoid temptation, it's that simple.
6. Don't let one bad indulgence become an excuse to go wild: If you eat something unhealthy, just go back to being healthy next meal. "Do not give up on the whole day or week," Sweeney says. Instead, eat something light at the next meal and make sure to get a good workout in. "One slipup is not the end of the world - and definitely not the end of a healthy diet!"