Vincent C. Gray Inaugurated as Sixth Elected Mayor
1/2/2011, 6:26 p.m.
"There is far more that brings us together than there is that drives us apart," said Mayor Gray. "Our families want a fair shot at achieving the American dream, and creating a better future for our children. Our people are just as hard-working, just as resilient, just as hopeful and just as optimistic as anywhere else. Our city has world-class resources and a dedicated workforce to make us economically competitive with any city in the world."
Mayor Gray outlined several key areas in which he will focus, including:
- Bringing a collaborative and holistic approach to education reform;
- Finding ways to put District residents back to work and creating an environment to help small business owners thrive and succeed;
- Working hand in hand with public safety officers, creating neighborhoods in which every family feels safe, because they are safe;
- Increasing transparency for our budget process; and
- Realizing the same right to self-determination that every other American enjoys.
The Gray Administration will focus on accomplishing these tasks through a collaborative and inclusive effort.
"What I've learned is that when the diverse people of the District, from all of our wonderfully diverse neighborhoods, come together as 'One City' and take ownership of it as our city, there is nothing we can't accomplish," said Mayor Gray.
The Mayor concluded by expressing his pride in being a District resident and in being part of the collective DC community. Mayor Gray held a press conference immediately after the inauguration with the newly-inaugurated Council Chairman Kwame Brown. Together, they expressed a shared concern for the city and pledged to work together to solve the problems that the city faces and to move the city forward.