Redskins' Win Comes at a Cost

Charles E. Sutton | 12/10/2012, 12:56 p.m.

The Washington Redskins continued their post-bye week surge and quest for a playoff spot Sunday at FedEx Field. But this particular game against the Baltimore Ravens was full of drama, as the team overcame the loss of rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III and came up with a last-- second comeback to beat the Ravens, 31-28.

With Griffin on the bench treating what appeared to be a hyperextended right knee, back-up quarterback Kirk Cousins directed the Redskins on a game-tying drive, hitting wide receiver Pierre Garcon with a touchdown pass, then running the ball for a two-point conversion. In overtime, rookie Richard Crawford had a big punt return and first-year kicker Kai Forbath made good on a 34-yard field goal for the win.

The Redskins won their fourth straight game, improving their record to 7-6. It was the first time since 2008 that the Redskins have had such a meaningful come-from-behind victory, and the first time since that year that the franchise has had a record above .500 in December.

After the game, an MRI was performed on Griffin's injured right knee, which indicated that he had suffered a sprain. Fortunately for Griffin and the team, it wasn't more serious. He would like to play next week in Cleveland, but the team will monitor his progress during the week and make a decision on his playing status in the next few days.

Ravens running back Ray Rice had a 7-yard touchdown run with 4 minutes 52 seconds remaining in regulation to give Baltimore a 28-20 lead. On the ensuing possession, Washington started its drive on its own 35-yard line.

Seven plays later, with 1:56 left, facing a second down and nineteen yards to go at their own 27, Griffin ran for 13 yards. However, as he was being tackled, Baltimore defensive lineman Haloti Ngata blasted Griffin, whose knee appeared to hyperextend.

Griffin stayed in the game, but with his mobility challenged and the knee discomfort increasing, he decided to head to the sideline. Cousins came in and hit wide receiver Leonard Hankerson on second-and-20 for a 15-yard gain, then connected with Garcon on a touchdown pass with 29 seconds remaining. The two-point conversion sent the game into overtime, and Baltimore won the coin toss. But Washington's defense held, and forced a punt that Crawford returned 64 yards to the Ravens 24-yard-line.

Washington ran four plays, then sent Forbath in for the game-winning field goal, and he converted, making his 14th straight kick as a Redskin.