Mitchell Stopped in Second Round

Charles E. Sutton | 11/19/2012, 12:18 p.m.

Brandywine's Seth Mitchell lost for the first time on Saturday night. Mitchell went down three times in the second round amid several combinations from Johnathon Banks before the bout at Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall was stopped at 2 minutes 37 seconds.

Mitchell had taken the most punishment of his career when referee Eddie Cotton stepped in to stop the fight. In his 27th professional bout, Mitchell came out surprisingly flat. His journey toward a world championship fight has taken a step back, and at this point, we'll wait to see who the 30-year-old will fight next and when.

In the evening's co-main event to Mitchell vs. Banks, Adrien Broner knocked out Antonio DeMarco in the eighth round to capture the World Boxing Council lightweight championship. The pro boxing card was the first at Boardwalk Hall since Superstorm Sandy hit Atlantic City on October 29.

The first round was primarily spent with Mitchell and Banks feeling out one another. Early in the second round, Banks landed a left uppercut that staggered Mitchell (25-1-1, 19 knockouts). Subsequently, Banks (29-1-1, 19 knockouts) connected with a right jab that inflicted more damage, and soon thereafter Mitchell dropped to the canvas.

An additional jab sent Mitchell to the canvas again, and when he went down for a third time, Cotton intervened and stopped the fight. Banks connected on 25 of 42 power shots while Mitchell landed only 11 of 43, and 29 percent of his overall punches. On the other hand, Banks landed 49 percent of his total 77 punches.

Banks came into the fight with a reputation for being a very good counter puncher. When Mitchell threw a right crossed that missed, Banks landed his first big shot. He quickly threw a left hand that landed on Mitchell's chin in what wound up being the decisive punch of the fight.

A Detroit native, Banks dedicated this fight to Emanuel Steward, the former trainer who died last month of colon cancer, and was outwardly emotional after the win that allowed him to take the North American Boxing Organization title from Mitchell.

Mitchell fought at this same venue nearly seven months ago. In that fight against Chazz Witherspoon, he came close to going down in the first round but came back in the second round before finishing off Witherspoon in the third round for his 10th straight knockout.