College Hoops Roundup

Charles E. Sutton | 1/24/2013, 11:58 a.m.

Villanova 73, No. 5 Louisville 65

Late in the second half, Achraf Yacoubou hit the tiebreaking 3-pointer to help Villanova upset No. 5 Louisville 73-65 on Tuesday night, in Philadelphia.

The Wildcats (12-7, 3-3 Big East) led by as much as 10 points in the first half and finished strong in the second half to send the Cardinals to their second consecutive loss. Louisville (16-3, 4-2) had an 11-game winning streak snapped in a 70-68 loss to Syracuse on Saturday.

Ryan Arcidiacono scored 13 points, and Mouphtaou Yarou and JayVaughn Pinkston each scored 11 for Villanova.

Wildcats Coach Jay Wright's struggling program needed a win badly, and once the final buzzer sounded Villanova students stormed the court in a wild celebration.

With just under four minutes remaining, Yacoubou hit the go ahead 3-pointer and the Wildcats held off Louisville from there.

No. 3 Kansas 59, No. 11 Kansas State 55

The No. 3 Kansas Jayhawks grabbed sole possession of first place in the Big 12 with a win over Kansas State, in Manhattan. Travis Releford scored 12 points as Kansas held of Kansas State down the stretch.

Jeff Withey and Ben McLemore added 11 points each for the Jayhawks (17-1, 5-0), who moved their nation-leading winning streak to 16 games and ended the Wildcats' 12-game home winning streak.

Shane Southwell, who had a career-high 19 points, pulled Kansas State (15-3, 4-1) within 56-53 with a scooping layup with 38.2 seconds remaining. But after Naadir Tharpe made two free throws to restore a five-point lead, the Wildcats' Rodney McGruder missed from behind the three-point line at the other end.

Wake Forest 86, No. 18 N.C. State 84

Wake Forest upset No. 18 North Carolina State as freshman Devin Thomas had a season-high 25 points, 14 rebounds and four block shots, in Winston-Salem.

Travis McKie scored 16 points for the Demon Deacons (10-8, 3-3 ACC), including two foul shots with 3.4 seconds remaining that helped Wake Forest hold the Wolfpack at bay in a wild final four and a half minutes.

In the first half, N.C. State had a 16-point lead and managed to take a 12-point lead to the locker room at halftime, only to see the Demon Deacons rally and move ahead to a 10-point lead of their own.