Homeownership offers independence and the opportunity to create a living environment that reflects your personality, style, and values. Managing your home’s energy can be an intimidating part of homeownership, but Pepco customers in Maryland can help reduce their energy costs this summer by participating in Peak Energy Savings Days program.
Peak Savings Days are a few days each summer when demand for electricity is highest, and they typically occur for a few hours between noon and 8 p.m. During these periods, you’ll earn a credit of $1.25 off your bill for every kilowatt hour (kWh) you save below your average energy use. The more you reduce your energy use, the more you can save. For example, if your average energy use is 19 kilowatt hours (kWh) a day and you reduce your energy use to 15 kWh during a Peak Savings Day, you’ll receive a $5.00 credit.
Reducing your energy during a Peak Savings Day is easy; you can turn up your air conditioner’s thermostat a few degrees and head outside and cool off at a nearby beach, pool, or park. Head over to Raccoon Point in Westover, Md. and enjoy the waterfront with a beach and picnic tables. You can head to Crab & Cruise in Crisfield, Md., or take a dip in one of Montgomery County’s seven outdoor community pools, or maybe catch fireflies at the Lightning Bug Jubilee at the Brookside Nature Center in Silver Spring. In Prince George’s County, you can calm those summer nerves at Yoga in the Park at the Tucker Road Community Center in Fort Washington, Md. or bring the kids to Evening Drop-In Soccer- Safe Summer at Heurich Park in Hyattsville, Md. Managing your home’s energy use is easy with these great local options.
It’s your choice whether to participate on a particular Peak Savings Day – there is never any enrollment and signing up is not necessary. There is also no penalty if you choose not to participate in the Peak Energy Savings Credit program.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
• No enrollment. When a Peak Savings Day is announced you’ll automatically receive a phone call the night before with the official hours for reducing your energy use. You can also choose to be notified by text or email. To set your preferences, log in to the “My Account” section on your Pepco account. Visit: www.pepco.com/peak
• Save energy. Reduce your energy use below your average during the specified hours of a Peak Savings Day to earn a credit off your bill.
• View your credit. On average, customers receive a $5 credit on each Peak Savings Day. You’ll see your credit on your next bill or online through “My Account.” Visit: www.pepco.com/peak
Saving energy on Peak Savings Days can be as simple as waiting to run major appliances until later or reducing air conditioner use, if health permits.
You can also follow these quick and easy tips to help you save on Peak Savings Days:
• Close shades and blinds to the hot sun
• Unplug chargers and electronics
• Switch off unused lights
• Use a fan to circulate air instead of air conditioning
• Run major appliances before or after specified hours
• Cook outside or use a microwave instead of an oven
• Put computers in sleep mode or turn them off entirely
• If you have central air conditioning or a heat pump, sign up for Energy Wise Rewards™ and make saving automatic. Visit: www.pepco. com/rewards